bLOG CATEGORIEs + Search

Wedding Client Lounge

What Is Plan B If Bad Weather Is Expected At Our Engagement Session?

February 22, 2020

Since an engagement session is (typically) easy to reschedule, we will do so in the event that bad weather is expected or seen on the radar for the day of your scheduled session. Now I know some of my clients have a small window of availability due to work schedules or living far away and in those cases, we may or may not have the luxury. I always encourage my clients to at least try one time to reschedule if it means their day will be prettier for photos but I know that isn’t always an option. Either way, I am going to share my process of rescheduling your engagement session below so you know what to expect.

 
 

Consider several alternative dates: When scheduling your engagement session at first, we will likely look at several available dates on both your calendar and mine. Those dates will come in handy when it comes to having to reschedule your session so keep them in mind.

Spring/Summer: In the case of a spring or summer session where we know rain is a possibility, I find it best to not constantly be checking the weather and worrying about rain. After all, the radar can change drastically in a week, day, and even hour. What I typically do if the radar is calling for rain is reach out 24 hours prior to your session to look at some possible alternative dates but then not make the official call until the following day closer to your session time. If you’re someone traveling far for your session or even I have to travel far to you, then we have to make this call a bit earlier and not wait until the day of to decide if we want to postpone. We will do so within 48 hours of your session just to be safe.

Fall/Winter: In the case of a fall or winter session where we might be stuck with freezing temperatures, snow, and even rain, again I find it best not to worry about the weather until we get close to the session. Unless rain is involved, we can work with cold temperatures by layering up and even snow can be really pretty if it isn’t too much. Again, what I typically do is check the radar and reach out 24 hours prior to your session to look at some possible alternative dates. Then we don’t make the official call until the day of your session. And in the case of long-distance traveling, we will make that call earlier (48 hours) or just power through as long as it isn’t raining.

A second reschedule: There is always the chance that even after rescheduling, that bad weather is forecasted. We can either decide to reschedule for the second time if both of us have room in our calendars or we can hope for the best and follow through with the session in less than ideal weather. It’s not uncommon for us to reschedule a session a couple of hours ahead of time only to see the sun shining through because the clouds lifted. It’s always a risk but I find that at least trying one time to schedule on a day with better weather is worth it in the long run. You want pretty sunshine if possible so that’s what we shoot for. If it doesn’t happen, that’s okay too, we will make it work and it will be beautiful!

Powering through bad weather: As I said before, rescheduling isn’t always an option. Sometimes my clients are driving from hours away or even having to fly in for the weekend. If we have the whole weekend to work with, we might look at trying one of the other days that you will be local. However, if there just isn’t an option to postpone or reschedule and we have to make do, we will! This is when we can consider an indoor location or look for places that have covering to protect us from rain. For cold temperatures, bundling up will be super important. No matter what, we will work through it and ultimately create a fun and beautiful session for you both!

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

© Life By Lex Photography 2024

Design by Tonic

|